The Down Syndrome Community
16th Annual Puget Sound Buddy Walk
This event co-sponsored by the Seattle Center
part of the Seattle Center Community Created Events
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Center Square in the Seattle Center
Prizes awarded to top fundraisers!
See the event page for full prize list!
The Buddy Walk® was developed by the National Down Syndrome Society in 1995 to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month in October and to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. The Buddy Walk® has grown from 17 walks in 1995 to nearly 300 walks planned for 2012 worldwide. In 2011, more than $11.2 million was raised nationwide to benefit local programs and services, as well as the national advocacy initiatives of NDSS that benefit all individuals with Down syndrome.
Our walk is a short stroll in the shadow of the Space Needle around the Seattle Center grounds and the International Fountain. After the walk there will be refreshments, music, crafts, games, a raffle and networking opportunities for all!
Who Are We?
The Down Syndrome Community serves the Puget Sound region and Western Washington. Our mission is to:
- Improve the lives of individuals with Down syndrome and their families by focusing on education, communication, and advocacy
- Build a caring, understanding, supportive community open to all individuals and families whose lives include a person with Down syndrome
- Share and nurture a climate where every human being is recognized, their strengths appreciated, and their accomplishments respected and valued
- Strengthen the network of individuals and groups working with issues affecting the lives of those with developmental disabilities and their families.
How Can You Help?
Your support is an important part of our program. By using the links on this page you can:
- Donate directly to the Down Syndrome Community, or
- Set up your own unique page and independently raise walk donations from your friends and family.
Either way, your contributions toward our walk greatly assist us in raising public awareness and fund our all-volunteer organization and the programs we provide. The Down Syndrome Community is a registered 501(c)(3) organization and all donations are tax-deductible. A portion of proceeds will be paid to the National Down Syndrome Society.