RACE RESULTS -- I'm disappointed to report that, due to running too conservatively, I missed the 62 mile cutoff time (by 22 minutes!) and was pulled from the race by race officials (they do this for safety and logistical reasons). But I'm thrilled with the support everyone has given me for the race and for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The good that comes from the fundraiser far outweighs any disappointment from not finishing the race, and I thank all of you for that.
"I am aware of no greater example of selfless service than America’s special operations forces. Someday, when the full history of this period can be written, all Americans will know the contributions they made to defend our freedom and our way of life." -- Former Vice President Dick Cheney, from his book In My Time
“There’s no fool like an old fool” – Jacob Braude, repeated by spouses of aging ultrarunners for decades
I’ve signed up to run the Oil Creek 100 on October 8th, 2011. It’s 100 miles on Oil Creek State Park’s Gerard Hiking Trail -- 35,000 feet of elevation change through mud, rocks, and roots, with 32 hours to finish. Yikes!! See what it’s all about at www.OilCreek100.org.
To motivate me in this ambitious undertaking, I’m incorporating a fundraiser for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. All donations will go to SOWF in memory of Sgt. Martin Lugo, C Co/1 Btn/75th Ranger Regiment, who was killed in action in Afghanistan last August. See www.soc.mil/Memorial%20Wall/Bios/Lugo_Martin.pdf
LEARN ABOUT THE SPECIAL OPERATIONS WARRIOR FOUNDATION AND ITS UNIQUE MISSION -- WATCH THE VIDEO TO THE RIGHT AND THEN CLICK ON THE "NONPROFIT" TAB ABOVE.
The Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and family counseling to the surviving children of Special Operations personnel who die in operational or training missions, and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded Special Operations personnel and their families.
The Warrior Foundation has served over 800 children who survive more than 700 Special Operations personnel who gave their lives in service to their country. These include Special Operators who died fighting our nation's war against terrorism, as part of "Operation Enduring Freedom" in Afghanistan and the Philippines; as well as "Operation Iraqi Freedom."
The Foundation has a Four Star rating from Charity Navigator, a rating awarded to less than 5% of charitable organizations. The Foundation also has the Better Business Bureau Accreditation Charity Seal, and the Independent Charities of America “Best in America” Seal of Excellence.
“If you’re going through hell, keep going” Sir Winston Churchill
KEEP ME GOING! Your pledges will help keep me motivated during the final 3 weeks of training, because now I’m responsible to you as well as myself (and I obviously don’t care much about myself). Together we can make a difference for the families of fallen heroes.
Please pledge as much as you can, but no pledge is ever too small.
- Don’t forget corporate matching gifts!!
- Donating through FirstGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to donate - by DEBIT CARD or CREDIT CARD - very convenient!
- FirstGiving charges a 7.5% transaction fee. If you donate $25, $1.88 will go to FirstGiving to cover website hosting etc and $23.12 will go to SOWF. You will have the option during the payment process to cover the transaction fee so SOWF will receive the full $25 so your total donation will be $26.92
- For anyone not comfortable donating online, please make your check payable to Special Operations Warrior Foundation and mail it to the following address: David Rodgers, 163 East Main, North East, Pa 16428. I will give the checks to the SOWF and update the offline amount below so you can see your check contributions grow along with the online donations.
- And most importantly, pass this along to EVERYONE you think might want to join in – friends, relatives, work associates, military buddies, etc. “If lots of people give a little, nobody has to give a lot”.
LET’S DO IT --- TOGETHER!!!.
“Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still” -- Chinese proverb