TRANSFORM YOUNG WRITERS LIKE ME
If I didn't have my Girls Write Now Mentor, Josleen, who is like a second mother to me, I'm not sure where I'd be. - Brittany Barker, Girls Write Now Mentee, 2008-11
WRITING IS CHANGE
UNTIL GIRLS WRITE NOW, I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS A WRITER. When I was 14 years old, I wrote, but never thought of myself as one who practiced the art. Stuffed my notebooks with all the things I felt were better left unsaid. Kept them under lock and key, under silence and me. I never called myself a writer. Until Girls Write Now told me I was. AND THEN I COULDN'T WAIT TO CALL MYSELF A WRITER AGAIN.
WRITING IS GROWTH
AT 16, I remember the first time MY WORK BECAME STRONG ENOUGH for me to speak alone. How loud my words began to sound. I remember poems lifting themselves off the page. I remember confidence building day by day. I didn’t know I was a perfectionist until Girls Write Now made me one. Frustration, revision, more revision, every single word. That was the first time that writing was hard. AND THEN MY POEM WON THE MALCOLM X PRIZE AND A SCHOLASTIC SILVER KEY. AND I COULDN'T WAIT TO WORK HARD AGAIN.
WRITING IS TRANSFORMATION
THANKS TO GIRLS WRITE NOW, I HAVE A 4-YEAR POSSE SCHOLARSHIP TO DICKINSON COLLEGE, where I am a freshman. I have decided on 2 minors – Education and Creative Writing. I knew I would go to college, but I NEVER IMAGINED that I’d end up at one of the top private colleges in the United States.
Girls Write Now Class of 2011
WHAT GIRLS WRITE NOW HAS BEEN UP TO
- HIGHER ED: Continuing our record of sending 100% of our seniors on to college, this year our seniors have already made plans to attend UCLA, Emerson, Barnard, and Howard in fall 2012!
- HONORS: Girls Write Now was distinguished twice by the President's Committee in the past two years, and won the Innovator Award from Youth I.N.C. in 2012!
- AWARDS: This year's mentees won an astounding 27 regional and national awards in the Scholastic Arts & Writing competition, along with full scholarships through Posse and Questbridge!
- DIGITAL MEDIA: We partnered with Figment.com, Open Road, and Parsons The New School for Design to produce a cutting-edge digital media curriculum for our mentees!
INVEST IN GIRLS WRITE NOW TODAY
- $5,000 supports one mentee (like me!) through a full year of GWN programming
- $2,500 provides equipment (laptops, iPod touches, software) for digital programming
- $500 training and professional development for mentors in our program
- $250 supports a Craft Talk with a prominent author at a workshop or CHAPTERS reading
- $200 supports a session with a licensed professional on the GWN Therapy Panel
- $100 enables GWN to host a girl at the Girls College Bound essay-writing workshop series
- $50 allows GWN to screen and approve one mentor through a comprehensive background check
THANK YOU FOR HELPING THIS ORGANIZATION I LOVE.