Here are some Girls Write Now facts, stories, and materials we hope you will use--along with your own personalized story!--to build your FirstGiving page for the spring appeal:
At a fraction of the cost of private tutoring or tuition, Girls Write Now offers a unique and comprehensive suite of services that have proven successful for hundreds of young women. Unlike many larger non-profits, Girls Write Now does not have an endowment, which means we need to raise every dollar anew each year to maintain our programs and services for these deserving girls. As we expand our digital offerings to keep pace with the world around us, our costs have only increased, and we look to our community to help meet them.
"When I was 14 years old, I wrote, but never thought of myself as one who practiced the art. Until Girls Write Now told me I was. And then I couldn’t wait to call myself a writer again. I didn’t know I was a perfectionist until Girls Write Now made me one. Frustration, revision, more revision, every single word. That was the first time that writing was hard. And then my poem won the Malcolm X prize and a Scholastic Silver Key. And I couldn’t wait to work hard again. Thanks to Girls Write Now, I have a four-year Posse scholarship to Dickinson College, where I am a freshman."
--Brittany, GWN Class of 2011
WHAT GIRLS WRITE NOW HAS BEEN UP TO
- HIGHER ED: Continuing our record of sending 100% of our seniors on to college, this year our seniors have already made plans to attend UCLA, Emerson, Barnard, and Howard in fall 2012!
- HONORS: Girls Write Now was distinguished twice by the President's Committee in the past two years, and won the Innovator Award from Youth I.N.C. in 2012!
- AWARDS: This year's mentees won an astounding 27 regional and national awards in the Scholastic Arts & Writing competition, along with full scholarships through Posse and Questbridge!
- DIGITAL MEDIA: We partnered with Figment.com, Open Road, and Parsons The New School for Design to produce a cutting-edge digital media curriculum for our mentees!
INVEST IN GIRLS WRITE NOW TODAY
- $5,000 supports one mentee (like me!) through a full year of GWN programming
- $2,500 provides equipment (laptops, iPod touches, software) for digital programming
- $500 training and professional development for mentors in our program
- $250 supports a Craft Talk with a prominent author at a workshop or CHAPTERS reading
- $200 supports a session with a licensed professional on the GWN Therapy Panel
- $100 enables GWN to host a girl at the Girls College Bound essay-writing workshop series
- $50 allows GWN to screen and approve one mentor through a comprehensive background check
||Monday, April 23, 2012||
||Saturday, June 30, 2012
jessicawh at girlswritenow.org