This page is no longer accepting donations
$1,160
Raised so far

One Step At A Time Camp Childrens Oncology Services Of Illinois Inc

Chicago Marathon 2012 Chicago, Illinois

Donations as of November 21, 2014:

$0.00 Raised Offline
$1,160.22 Raised Online
$1,160.22 Total Raised

Adam Petraglia's Page

I guess you could use a little introduction into who I am and why I'm doing this, and the story goes....

 

On my 11th birthday, I got a gift that would forever change my life..."Adam, you have cancer."

The first thing that was running through my mind was when I was going to get out of this creepy, cold hospital and get back on the soccer field! I was assured that chemotherapy would start the next day and I would be out of the hospital in 2 weeks. That was not the route that was written in my playbook.

The next day, my body took a hit from the nastiest player out there: Leukemia. I did not respond to the treatments and my body was beginning to shut down. My kidneys failed, I was put on dialysis, and my dosage was reduced dramatically. This all begin a 6-month stay that would define my life into the future.

During my stay, (I became one of those patients that everyone in the hospital knew) I was put into a drug-induced coma for 5 weeks because the pain was to substantial for me to withstand. During this time on my journey, it seemed as if I was caught in a run-down between second and third. Doctors told my parents that there was nothing more that they could do to save me; medicine was no longer a factor. A 10% chance of living and 90% chance of dying meant the same thing, but I had to start fighting them differently.

I opened my eyes in August of 2001 and the journey back to a normal life was about to begin. I left the hospital completely crippled to a wheelchair (I had developed drop-foot and muscle atrophy in both feet/legs); I couldn't walk, feed myself, or go to the bathroom by myself. I attended intense physical and occupational therapy each day, 3 hours a day. By December of 2001, I was walking with a walker and orthotics that came up to my knees. I have progressed throught the years and through the stages of orthotics and now walk without them, but still with drop-foot.

Before I was sick, sports were my life and they still are. I was always in the backyard playing with all the neighborhood kids, and I played soccer year-round. But after my diagnosis, playing sports unfortunately took a backseat. Each day of my life, I've regretted the missed opportunity to play football for my high school. When I was a kid, there was nothing more that I wanted other than to run out on that field, under the lights, with all my friends, and make my dad proud.

This new journey, the 2012 Chicago Marathon, is a new opportunity; an opportunity to prove physical and mental endurance, to prove that I can compete, to prove that I can finish, and to make those that love me proud.

Due to my physical challenges, I will be competing in the handcycle division for Team One Step. Now, I am not Lance Armstrong on the handcyle and I have never competed in a handcycle race. But I can promise you that my power of will and personal humility will carry me throughout this endeavor. I may not be the fastest, the strongest, or the best at anything...but I have the heart that will never let me give up.

Camp has been a part of my life since I was 12 (as a camper, and now a counselor), and the least I can do is ride for those kids that can't.

I could never thank you enough for simply reading about my story; and whether it be $53, $17, or 37 cents, I could never express my gratitude towards a generous donation.

From the bottom of my heart, Thank you.

-Adam

 

 

"Don't Give Up. Don't Ever Give Up!"

-Jimmy Valvano

 

 

Supporters

Comment Donation
Carolyn Stoffel I admire your determination Adam!
$100.00
Kerry and Debbie Field Go, Adam! Attitude is everything! :-)
$20.00
Dave Edwards
$25.00
Dana and Mark Petraglia Way to go Adam, we are so proud of you!
$100.00
Go get em RUFIOOOOOO! :D
$10.00
Cara Noonan You best be sporting a kickass mohawk... You are gonna rock it!!!!!!!!!!! :)
$10.00
Maria Bernal Holdread Love, love, love you!!!
$30.00
lainie oser Thanks for sharing ! such an inspiration!
$20.00
Dale and Terri Hallberg You da man! Run, Adam, Run!
$100.00
Karin Catania Sending good wishes.
$20.00
The Malambris You're truly an inspiration - best of luck!
$25.00
Brian Pearson & Stephen Stockley YOU CAN DO IT !
$25.00
Loras Morale Sending some DM love your way! FTK!
$35.00
Cathlynn Peters Best of Luck to you and your wonderful cause.
$50.00
Kitty Behof & Gary Wendland Best of luck with the race.
$25.00
Dave Rambo, Anne Matheny
$50.00
Smilings my favorite Make sure you fuel up on candy corn and syrup
$20.00
Gary Gunderson Best of luck and God Bless
$50.00
Karen Flaherty For all that both you and Sue O do . Good luck!
$10.00
Tracy Adamczyk Wish I could give more.... Good Luck !
$10.00
Megan Smith I wouldn't know camp without you! Love you bud!
$20.00
Eddie Johnson Adam-Heroic and inspiring...
$100.00
Scott Fortman Good Luck Adam!!!
$35.00
Emily Jehl
$10.00
Stephanie Nicoletti Good luck!
$10.00
Lindsay Cooley good luck!! :)
$20.00
Alex Jesswein Go kick some butt!
$25.00
Anthony Rusin Good luck cousin!
$25.00
Taylor O'Keefe Good Luck :)
$10.22
Suzie Teal & Family (Chris & Izabella) Best of luck to one of my biggest inspirations!
$25.00
Jeff and Kathy Caudill Happy to help you
$75.00
Julia
$15.00
Lauren Hoffer Good Luck Adam!
$20.00
Sue Orlebeke Let me kick it off for you....
$35.00

Donation Summary

Raised Offline
$0
Raised Online
$1,160
Total Raised
$1,160
Report offensive content