Art Means Business
Art-Speak, Portsmouth’s Cultural Commission, supports Portsmouth’s artists, visitors, citizens and businesses, but we can’t do it without your financial support.
Here are just a few ways that Art-Speak made a difference recently:
• Conducted the Americans for the Arts Economic Prosperity Survey IV, with local arts and culture organizations to quantify the economic impact that arts and cultural organizations, and their visitors, have on our economy. The last survey, in 2006-2007, determined that the arts contribute $38.18 million to our local economy.
• We support the African Burying Ground Committee with fundraising support and grant applications.
• The ArtWorks program at the Portsmouth Middle School introduced over 70 students to local artists and businesspeople who inspired and educated students about careers in the arts.
• The Islington Street Corridor Improvement Action and Arts District Study, partially funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, was completed and made available to the public.
• A Public Art Acquisition Policy, developed by Art-Speak, was adopted by the City of Portsmouth.
Our volunteer Board of Directors and one part-time staff person work diligently to promote the rich arts scene and cultural heritage of Portsmouth, but we need to secure private grant funding and private donations to accomplish of our goals.
Please consider a donation and make a difference for the arts in Portsmouth - all donations are greatly appreciated – thank you.