This page is no longer accepting donations
$350
goal
$470
Raised so far

134 % to goal

Citizen Schools

Citizen Schools TX

Donations as of September 02, 2014:

$0.00 Raised Offline
$470.00 Raised Online
$470.00 Total Raised

Aurora Martinez's Fundraising Page

Dear friends,

As many of you know the year 2009 was a tough year for me professionally.  After 5 years of working in the field of Human Resources I decided to really pursue my dream for working with children.  Citizen Schools has given me the opportunity to learn more about myself and feel passion for my job again.  I am working with great people and have the best kids.  My 8th graders are smart, dedicated and they make me laugh everyday! 

According to recent studies, only 7 in 10 students entering public high schools graduate, and of those only half have the skills necessary for college or for a middle-class job in the modern economy. The statistics are worse for low-income, at-risk youth who have been caught in a vicious cycle of declining educational and economic opportunity, keeping them from escaping poverty and reaching middle class.

Children spend just 20 percent of their waking hours in school, but a child's capacity to learn doesn't end with the final bell. Perhaps if students spent some of the remaining 80% of their day learning, the statistics around graduation rates and student success would improve. The Citizen School's approach also builds on the idea thatstudents who succeed usually learn in more ways than just the typical classroom. Their whole communities need to be involved in teaching them the things they need.Thus, Citizen Schools aims to expand the learning day, giving students access to:

  • More time
  • More hands-on, relevant learning
  • More caring adults

Citizen Schools provides this access by extending the learning day for low-income children in a fun, engaging way that connects them to real-world skills and adults from the community.It achieves this by mobilizing a second-shift of afternoon educators who provide academic support, leadership development, and apprenticeships: hands-on projects taught by volunteer experts.

 

My fundraising goal is $300 raised before the middle of March. It is possible! Are you able to donate $5 or more? Do you have friends that may be interested?

 

What does your money help us do?

  • $10 provides one week of special snack for Aspire, Invest, and Make the Grade (AIM) team of the week.
  • $15 provides one month of materials for students to complete high quality academic homework during our structured homework time. (Notebooks, agendas, pencils, pens, etc)
  • $20 provides one month of supplies for our CHOICE time activities where students play sports, do art projects, learn yoga, or bake in cooking class.
  • $80 provides one semester of extra support for one apprenticeship team. An apprenticeship is a focused learning time between 15 students and a community volunteer with a professional skill to share. Students in the Green Teans Apprenticeship learned about sustainable and organic gardening from a Science teacher at Jane Long.
  • $250 provides the support for one Team Leader to sponsor a special event for our families such as a potluck, WOW showcase (the end-of-the-year Apprenticeship fair), Parent Literacy events, or to secure a bus for an exploration (field trip) to a local College.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions or if you would like suggestions on they amount/type of donation that you can make.

 

 Thank you for taking the time to read my story and for showing your interest in the Citizen Schools movement.


Supporters

Comment Donation
Jessica Arriaga Godoy You can do it!!! :)
$25.00
Kari Hargett
$10.00
John
$20.00
Coop
$20.00
Marva ColeFriday Congratulations on reaching your goal
$20.00
Angelith Torres
$50.00
Kim Bagley Go Aurora! :)
$30.00
Elizabeth A. Ramos Glad to see you back in Education..your true calling.
$50.00
Rosa Payan
$20.00
Carroll Scribner Aurora - I can't imagine you ever losing your passion, but I'm glad you've found your "right" work.
$100.00
Dixie Barahona From your biggest fan- The kids are lucky to have a teacher like you on their side!
$100.00
Woodrow Dinstel Bake, you can do it!
$25.00

Donation Summary

Raised Offline
$0
Raised Online
$470
Total Raised
$470
Report offensive content