This page is no longer accepting donations
$300
goal
$140
Raised so far

47 % to goal

Citizen Schools

Citizen Schools Texas Houston, Texas

Donations as of December 22, 2014:

$0.00 Raised Offline
$140.00 Raised Online
$140.00 Total Raised

Aurora Martinez's Page

Dear friends,

I want to start by thanking you so much for all your support this past year.  All the hard work and long hours are definitely worth it.  As you may already know I am the Campus Director for one of our sites "Sharpstown International".  I am in charge of 95 little ones who love coming everyday afterschool.  We see their faces everyday and have really enjoyed  seeing them transform from shy students to the public speakers that they are.  I could not do this on my own my wonderful staff (see picture) go above and beyond to make student connections and teach them what they need to be successful.  I once again ask for your generosity as you think about donating to us.  Feel free to donate as much or as little as you wish.  Any donation is greatly appreciated.

According to recent studies, only 7 in 10 students entering public high schools graduate, and of those only half have the skills necessary for college or for a middle-class job in the modern economy. The statistics are worse for low-income, at-risk youth who have been caught in a vicious cycle of declining educational and economic opportunity, keeping them from escaping poverty and reaching middle class.Children spend just 20 percent of their waking hours in school, but a child's capacity to learn doesn't end with the final bell. Perhaps if students spent some of the remaining 80% of their day learning, the statistics around graduation rates and student success would improve. The Citizen School's approach also builds on the idea thatstudents who succeed usually learn in more ways than just the typical classroom. Their whole communities need to be involved in teaching them the things they need.Thus, Citizen Schools aims to expand the learning day, giving students access to:

  • More time
  • More hands-on, relevant learning
  • More caring adults

Citizen Schools provides this access by extending the learning day for low-income children in a fun, engaging way that connects them to real-world skills and adults from the community.It achieves this by mobilizing a second-shift of afternoon educators who provide academic support, leadership development, and apprenticeships: hands-on projects taught by volunteer experts.

 

My fundraising goal is $300 raised before the middle of March. It is possible! Are you able to donate $5 or more? Do you have friends that may be interested?

 

What does your money help us do?

  • $10 provides one week of special snack.
  • $15 provides one month of materials for students to complete high quality academic homework during our structured homework time. (Notebooks, agendas, pencils, pens, etc)
  • $20 provides one month of supplies for our CHOICE time activities where students play sports, do art projects, learn yoga, or bake in cooking class.
  • $80 provides one semester of extra support for one apprenticeship team. An apprenticeship is a focused learning time between 15 students and a community volunteer with a professional skill to share. Students in the Green Teans Apprenticeship learned about sustainable and organic gardening from a Science teacher at Jane Long.
  • $250 provides the support for one Team Leader to sponsor a special event for our families such as a potluck, WOW showcase (the end-of-the-year Apprenticeship fair), Parent Literacy events, or to secure a bus for an exploration (field trip) to a local College.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions or if you would like suggestions on they amount/type of donation that you can make.

 

 Thank you for taking the time to read my story and for showing your interest in the Citizen Schools movement.

Supporters

Comment Donation
Mandy Keep up the great work!
$50.00
Fernanda Gomez Love you Cousin! Time for me to support you! :)
$50.00
Diana Clark Hagans Got to support my gal and the CS Sharpstown team!
$30.00
Mom I'm so proud of you!
$10.00

Donation Summary

Raised Offline
$0
Raised Online
$140
Total Raised
$140