- 887 Million people in the world have no access to clean water.
- One child dies from diarrhea every 15 seconds.
- 15-20 hours a week are spent by women every day to fetch water.
- 443 Million hours of school are lost each year due to water.
- 50% of the worlds hospital beds are occupied due to water-related diseases.
The water problem is so fundamental, yet so tragic. But it is so easy to make a difference.
- $1 can provide water for 1 person for a year
- $100 can provide water for one family for a generation
- $5000 can provide clean water for a whole community.
- $20B, the amount the US spends on bottled water annually, can solve the water crisis.
We may not have everything we want, but we have more than we need. So, this Christmas (and for Jon's birthday), we are participating in our own "ocupy protest" and eschewing the commericalism that Christmas has become. Instead, we're going to redirect our budget to helping people get their most basic need met - clean water. The kids have decided to give up a portion of their gifts to help.
Will you join us? Instead of sending us cards, please consider donating to this cause instead. Instead of buying us that new flat screen TV :) , please give a whole community a water - for life. 100% percent of your donation will go towards providing clean water to those who need it.
Jon has joined the leadership team of Living Water New England's Volunteer Chapter, and is planning to go (hopefully with Mary) to South America to help build a well. Over the next year, we plan to raise enough money for a well, and fund a trip to help build it. We hope you will partner with us on this too.
To learn more about the water crisis, check out this video.
Jon, Mary, Mikayla, Jarrett, and Jayden