After reading the book Take Your Best Shot I realized you don’t have to wait until you are an “adult” in a career to make a major difference in the lives of others. I am going to swim 10 miles= 17,600 yards= 704 laps on December 30th from 1:00-7:00 P.M at Carman Ainsworth High School’s pool to help provide a clean, sustainable water supply to people who lack access to clean water around the world.
Why? Water likely does not seem to be a luxury to you. You probably turned on your shower this morning without even considering how lucky you are. Think about it…..How many glasses of water did you drink today? Eight? Isn’t that what is recommended? Where did you get your water? A faucet? Your refrigerator? A sleek water bottle? A bubbling fountain? Regardless of where it came from, it likely wasn’t too very difficult to attain it. Imagine walking mile after mile, barefoot, aching, and sore to fill your family’s jug full of parasite infested muck. After dragging it back to your family you must boil and filter the water before you can ever consider taking a refreshing gulp. Even then you run the risk of developing a fatal illness. The reality is bleak.
Wrap your head around the numbers:
* Half of the world’s hospitalizations are due to water-related illnesses
* The ancient Romans had a better water quality than half of the people alive now
* Women spend thousands of hours a year collecting and carrying water
*Waterborne diseases cause 1.4 million children’s deaths every year
* 884 million people lack access to safe water supplies; approximately one in eight people
* 3.575 million people die each year from water-related disease
* The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns
Today’s water crisis is not an issue of scarcity, but of access. More people in the world own cell phones than have access to a toilet. And as cities and slums grow at increasing rates, the situation worsens. Every day, lack of access to clean water and sanitation kills thousands, leaving others with reduced quality of life.
Consider making a secure donation on this page to Swim4Water. Come cheer me and others on December 30th from 1:00-7:00 P.M. All proceeds from this event will go directly to the work water.org is completing throughout the globe.
To God be the glory! Thank you for your time and consideration.
How FAR will YOU go?
1. Donate directly to swim4 water here!
2. Donate money in one of the blue fundraising containers
3. Buy a t-shirt! All proceeds go to swim4water
4. Make your own goal to swim laps and join me on December 30th! Raise money in whatever way you can!
Isaiah 41: 17-20
When the poor and needy are dying of thirst and cannot find water, I, the LORD God of Israel, will come to their rescue. I won't forget them.
I will make rivers flow on mountain peaks. I will send streams to fill the valleys. Dry and barren land will flow with springs and become a lake.
I will fill the desert with all kinds of trees--cedars, acacias, and myrtles; olive and cypress trees; fir trees and pines.
Everyone will see this and know that I, the holy LORD God of Israel, created it all.