Lorne Adrain Mt. Denali Climb
Please add to your Facebook page!
Thank you for visiting my fundraising page! I hope you will join me in supporting the aspirations of first generation college students by sponsoring my fundraising climb of Mt. Denali (formerly Mt. McKinley).
On June 18, I arrive in Alaska to start the climb. At 20,320 ft., Denali is the highest mountain in North America. My goal is to support www.CollegeVisions.org and other organizations that provide the mentors, counseling and coaching that help aspiring first generation students search for, apply to, enroll in and graduate college. These students are ambitious, intelligent, hard-working young leaders, but they are without the family and community resources needed to facilitate success. Our support will help them develop an effective path to college and to a future of service and leadership in their communities. See video message from Veronica to the right of this text.
Your donations are tax deductible gifts to the Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund (a 501c3 Non-Profit organization). The fund will support www.CollegeVisions.org and similar efforts focused on providing coaching and support to high performing but under-resourced students.
This climb is by far the most challenging for me to date. After having climbed the highest peaks on three continents since my 50th birthday, (Kilimanjaro in Africa, Elbrus in Europe, Aconcagua in South America), I am attempting the monster. Denali is brutally cold and unforgiving (though appealing to my Canadian blood). A friend who has twice attempted Everest told me that the Denali climb was more challenging for her because of the Arctic Circle weather and because there are no sherpas, horses or donkeys. I will be my own jackass on this climb, with 60 lbs on my back and another 60 lbs on a sled - schlepping for 25 days over 40 miles and about 40,000 feet up and down the mountain.
But I know that when I struggle to put one foot in front of the other on this mountain, you and I will be changing the lives of young people and communities forever.
There are two ways to help:
---- Sponsor me with a donation, (any amount much appreciated) at the "Donate" button below and forward this link to others via email or post it in your facebook account: www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/lorne-adrain/lorneadrainmtdenaliclimb )
---- Donate a penny or two per foot of the climb if you are feeling ambitious!
- one penny per foot = $203.20
- two pennies per foot = $406.40
- three penies per foot = $609.60
I have set a huge stretch goal of raising $203,200.00 to support these students - ten times the height of the mountain, but I believe you and I can reach this goal together!
Donating through this FirstGiving website is a simple, efficient and totally secure way to help.
See the green "Donate" button below.
Many thanks for your support -- please forward this to anyone who you think might be interested or inspired by this effort!
Links you may find fun/interesting:
- Video of Annabelle in my backpack for hills training - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkMHSMz4oJU
- Video of final approach along summit ridge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZqqam4oiw
- Video of a 2009 climb - from base to summit and back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7plyyc3rlY
- Video of the whole climb experience - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=robaRmSGS9k
- Video from another earlier group (scary avalanche) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTKXL87zIHw
- Video of crazy woman on first ascent in winter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yx5Yc-Jcm0
- Video for a night when you are having trouble sleeping ..... my blog about preparation for and progress of the climb - http://sixtyoversixty.blogspot.com/
- Updates of the climb from my guide service are available when we get to basecamp (june 23) - www.MountainTrip.com/trip-reports/