Our Bodies Ourselves: More Than a Book
We work for Our Bodies Ourselves. You might have heard of us. We put together a book all about women's health, and it's quite popular. We have a big name, so people tend to assume we've also got a big bank account. We don't.
Our book sales only account for 6% of our budget (you read that right - 6%). We're a nonprofit and we fundraise to come up with that other lean, mean 94%.
We need to raise $50,000 to continue our program work at current levels and ensure all women have access to the information they want and need.
This can be done with your support. If we can get 1,000 people to make donations of $50 each, we'll reach our goal faster than you can say, "Women rock."
We do incredible things with a global network, staff of six full-timers and a few part-time contributors. What kinds of things you ask?
- We work with women's groups around the world who translate and adapt Our Bodies, Ourselves. The book is currently in 24 languages! 24!
- A group we work with in Japan coined new, positive words for female reproductive organs because there weren't any. These words are now in the Japanese dictionary.
- Another group in Nepal worked to get women's reproductive rights included in the country's new constitution. We influenced a constitution!
- We're creating a 15-minute documentary to send to law makers in MA to promote the creation of a board of registration in midwifery.
- Our staff is hitting the pavement to promote the public option in the health care reform plan.
- And we have a super, fantastic blog that lays out the basics of current medical research in language everyone can understand.
Our Bodies Ourselves has always been there for you when you needed us most. And now we need you.
So please make a tax-deductible donation today and enjoy the warm fuzzies you get from knowing you did a good thing.
Thank you for your support!
-Wendy, Anne, Ayesha, Sally, Kiki, Christine, Rachel, Zobeida and Judy