Thank you for visiting my fundraising page! This is an issue that makes my heart heavy, and I often feel helpless to affect change. Walking this 5K with my family is a way we can help monetarily, but it also helps to raise awareness of the very real issue of modern day slavery. Here are some sobering facts:
• Approximately 80% of human trafficking victims are women and girls and up to 50% are minors. - U.S. State Department
• The average age of entry for children victimized by the sex trade industry is 12 years. - U.S. Department of Justice
• The global market for child trafficking is over $12 billion a year with more than 1.2 million child victims. - UNICEF
• Surveys indicate that 30 to 35 per cent of all sex workers in the Mekong sub-region of Southeast Asia are between 12 and 17 years of age. – UNICEF
• The average cost of a slave today is $90, a historic low. – Kevin Bales, author of Ending Slavery
Donating through this website is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.
Many thanks for your support -- and don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to donate too!