Tom Saletta's Page
Hello Family and Friends!
For the last 9 months I have been serving as a Board Member of Volunteers of America of Illinois (“VOA”). VOA’s mission is to help Veterans struggling with homelessness and unemployment, children in foster care, disabled adults and the elderly. The VOA’s mission to help these various groups and their dedicated staff are just a few of the many reasons I consider it an honor to serve this organization.
To help raise money for the many services VOA provides, my family will be participating tomorrow, Saturday April 21st, in the 15th Annual Wrigley Start Early Run. I hope to raise $3,000. If you would like to join me please visit www.voaillinois.org to learn more about the Wrigley Start Early Run, how you can participate in the event and to learn more about Volunteers of America.
Some sobering facts regarding our dedicated Veterans are:
- 1 in 3 men homeless every night in the US is a Veteran.
- More than 150,000 Veterans are homeless on any given night in the U.S..
- In Chicago, approximately 1000 Veterans are homeless.
- Approximately 90% of homeless Veterans were honorably discharged from military service and more than 1/3 of them specifically served in a combat zone during their military service.
- The number of homeless Vietnam era Veterans is greater than the number of service persons who died during that war.
- Veterans with families are a growing segment of the homeless population - increasing 5% a year for the past 3 years.
- Veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are appearing in the homeless population every day.
- Over 25% of soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are showing acute symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder – a significant factor in the high rate of homelessness for Veterans.
I ask that you view the video on the right to learn more about the important services VOA provides to some of the most vulnerable members of our communities.
I really hope you will consider participating with us or supporting this cause. Please feel free to forward this to anyone else you think might be interested in supporting us as well.
Donating through the above website is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.