HavServe Food 4 My Education (HavF4ME) School Feeding Project - Haiti
Food 4 My Education (HavF4ME) School Feeding Project - Lebrun Village - Haiti
Everyone can make a difference in the fight to end childhood hunger. Each contribution and commitment goes a long way to ensure that each and every child in the village of Lebrun, Haiti has enough to eat.
Project Description for the Village of Lebrun, Haiti (2011-2013):
The overall goal of the HAVF4ME Program is to improve primary school education for children, especially young girls and women, in the southwest of Haiti in the village called Lebrun. Students, teachers, school administrators, and communities with the support of international volunteers will be the focus of programmed activities that aim to accomplish the following objectives.
- Decrease dropout and absenteeism rates of students and teachers through provision of school snack and daily lunch to the villages schools.
- Implement nutrition education lessons into the curriculum and physical education training. Breakfast in the classroom is a perfect opportunity to incorporate healthy foods into lessons.
- Strengthen school administrators’ ability to manage, monitor, and motivate teachers to improve learning achievement in the classroom. School gardens can be used as an educational tool to teach children about producing healthy food and making healthy food choices.
- Increase ability of parent groups to contribute to their children’s education through promotion of healthy eating habits and lifestyles.
- Enhance community and parental support for educational achievement, with a particular focus on support to young girls and women.
- Strengthen ties between education outcomes and overall community development initiatives by providing access to food, a healthful diet, and nutrition education.
The targeted areas are: Village of Lebrun, Haiti.
Number of children participating in the Program: 2000
Participating schools: 5 Schools (Ecole Bon Samaritain, Ecole Miséricorde, Ecole Maranatha, Ecole Nationale de Lebrun, Ecole Evangélique de La Rentrie)
Check donations should be sent to: HavServe, P.O. Box 4173, Silver Spring, MD 20914
Staff: International volunteers, local Haitian volunteers, parents, community leaders.