THANK YOU FOR DONATING TO BLESSED BY DOWNS! WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT!
Blessed by Downs… is an official 501-C3 non-profit organization and has been the southeast La affiliate of the National Down Syndrome Society for 7+ years. We are a volunteer and membership based organization. We provide resources and support to our members. We also educate, advocate, raise awareness and promote acceptance & inclusion throughout our communities.
Blessed by Down was founded by Sheri Dupre' DeFelice in 2009. Sheri was inspired to create the organization after giving birth to an exceptional set of twins. Her son, Jayce, was born a typical child and her daughter, Olivia, was unexpectedly born with Down syndrome. DeFelice believes Olivia and others like her should be given the same opportunities as Jayce and other typical children.
In the past 7+ years we have:
1. Hosted 5 local Buddy Walk(R) and are the only southeast NDSS affiliate approved to host a local Buddy Walk(R).
2. Created and provide Expecting & New Parent Packs to all parents in our community upon diagnosis of Down syndrome.
3. Provided several Dr's and hospitals with the same Expecting & New Parent Packs for their patients.
4. Hosted quarterly birthday parties for our members.
5. Hosted quarterly mom's support night out.
6. Hosted family days and other family events.
7. Worked with NSU to provide FREE swimming lessons for ALL children with disabilities in our community for the past 3 summers.
8. Created yearly calendars to raise awareness featuring our amazing members.
9. Hosted IEP and other workshops for all parents of individual with special needs.
10. Provided information to our local schools so that they can better understand our members.
11. Supported and work with Special Olympics and Schriever Lions Club.
12. Provided scholarships to our members who choose to attend non-traditional public schools.
13. Supported and contributed to the Bridge to Independence Program at NSU.
.. and more!!!