Seed Money? Speed Money!
Your donation can help us open the lighthouse buildings to the public
Built in 1906, Burrows Island Light Station features three of the
four original wooden buildings. When the light was automated in 1972,
the last resident keepers moved away and the buildings, particularly
the massive Craftsman/Victorian Keepers' Quarters, fell into neglect.
There was some vandalism and considerable stripping of the cedar
doors, banisters and hardware by individuals who may have thought the
house was destined for demolition.
In 2010, the Secretary of the Interior named the Northwest Schooner
Society, an organization of volunteers with deep roots in maritime
preservation, as custodians of the restoration. A very hands-on crew,
the volunteers can offer donors a lot of "bang for their buck," when
they turn their skills loose on the station.
Please visit the stations website at www.burrowsislandlighthouse.com to see the scope of the restoration and what we've accomplished thus far. And visit the Station's Facebook Page for updates.
The Northwest Schooner Society is a 501(c)3 charity, incorporated in Washington State. All donations to the lighthouse restoration are tax deductable.