Dear Friends and Family,
On October 12th, I ran my 4th consecutive Bank of American Chicago Marathon for Oasis for Orphans. Thank you for your incredible outpouring of love and generosity!!! Because of you, I more than doubled by fundraising goal.
As you can imagine, every race is very different, and because I thought of you as I was running, I want to share with you some of the higlights from the race:
- We had just under 50 runners and raised close to $84,000!
- TEAM Oasis had a runner from Stockholm, Sweden. He told me that runners in Sweden don't run for charities, so this was all new to him.
- Five or our young men in the Oasis home called "The Hill" also ran a marathon of their own at the same time as us.
- We had perfect running temps -- 40s, gentle breeze and sunny.
- I was able to run with a half a dozen Oasis runners during the race -- just happening to meet up with them at various times along the course -- God's way of providing me with encouragement.
- Our dear friends, Rick and Ann Smith, were in from Kenya and came down to pray for us and cheer us on. And my good friends and running buddies came down as well. TEAM Oasis has the most awesome cheer support -- incredible!!!
- My neighbor and friend, Catherine, took on the marathon challenge for the first time for TEAM Oasis, and did an outstanding job!!! I ran with her for about 17 miles.
- For the first 13 miles, we laughed and joked and had a ton of fun, meeting new people and hearing their stories.
- For the last 9 miles, I cranked up my worship music, prayed and worshipped God.
- I also PRed by about 1 minute, finishing at 4:50.
- Because of your support, together we raised over $11,000 for The Shelter.
The best news of all ... based on a last-minute decision by The Chapel, the church where I work, I am traveling with a small team to go to Kenya tomorrow morning. We are going to be present with the widows of St. Martha's who lost their entire ministry, sewing machines, projects and inventory in a massive fire. As part of the trip, we will be bringing a Christmas VBS to over 200 orphaned children in Kenya at 4 different locations.
When I go, I will be bringing a piece of each of you with me. PLEASE let me know if you want to join me on my next trip in April 2015.