Fast Track PGH
My name is Morgan McLane and I created "Barbara Lee's Fast Track to a Cure for Huntington's Disease" in honor of my Aunt Barbara who was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease (HD) in December, 1999 and lost her battle April, 2010.
Barbara led quite a normal life. Getting married and having two daughters. In her 40's her life changed forever. Beginning with subtle changes in her personality and physical capabilities. Now we realize this was the beginning of her disease. HD is an inherited, degenerative brain disorder that results in the progressive loss of control of both the mind and the body. Approximately 30,000 people in the US are living with HD, with another 200,000 assumed at risk. Each child of an affected parent has a 50% chance of inheriting the disease. In 2005, Aunt Barbara was placed in a nursing, confined to a wheelchair and began having difficulty in speaking and swallowing. HD is an especially difficult condition because it robs the affected person not only of their health and independence, but also the memories of family, friends and a lifetime of experiences. There is no cure.
As we enter the sixth year of Fast Track Autocross Fundraiser, we hope you join us in raising funds and awareness of Huntington's Disease. Your support will put Huntington's Disease on a Fast Track to the finish line of finding a cure.
Here at Fast Track PGH, we have worked together with the North Hills Sports Car Club (NHSCC) to provide a SAFE, CONTROLLED environment for you to put your car through its paces. Autocross is an automotive obstacle course, good for tuning your driving skills or teaching someone about car control. Upsetting the car's natural balance teaches a driver how to control a vehicle, and autocross is the perfect tool to do so. If you aren't afraid to torture your tires (slight poking, not water boarding!) this event will be perfect for you!
A few things that you need to know if you plan to participate:
- Helmets are required (there are a few provided by the NHSCC).
- The car must be completely cleaned out (no one wants that morning coffee strewn about their car, right?).
- NO FLOORMATS.
- Your car will be put through a quick "safety inspection,” making sure that lugs, batteries and brake pedals are tight like your reflexes. Your inspector will also ensure that the car is properly cleaned out.
- Your car MUST be inspected.
- Bring something to mark your racing numbers and class and your car—we recommend white shoe polish or blue electrical tape. Unsure of your class? Relax! We’ll make sure you end up where you belong!
- Cost is $25 for NHSCC members and $25 for non-members